Watchtower doctrines and the Bible.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Letter to the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses

May 15, 2009

North Plains, OR

Christian Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses
2821 Route 22
Patterson, NY 12563-2237


Gentlemen:

I have been engaging in discussions with a devout Jehovah’s Witness for some time now. We have been discussing the use of logic in the study of scripture. I have been attempting to ascertain the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society’s view of logic.

I have noticed that the Society speaks of “Reasoning From the Scriptures”. I view logic and reason as the same thing. Reasoning from the Scriptures would be applying logic the Scriptures. Apparently we both think that is a good thing. I have also read an article that commends Christ for using “powerful logic” when dealing with the Pharisees. Other places I have seen the word “logically” used in articles. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find anything that explains, in detail, the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society’s position on the laws or rules of sound reasoning and valid logic.

Therefore, I am asking:

1) Does the Society believe there are any rules or laws in connection with sound reasoning and valid logic?

2) More specifically, what is the Society’s position on the law of identity, the law of contradiction (or non-contradiction, as some call it) and the law of the excluded middle?

I have not been able to determine a position from any of the writings that I have seen thus far. I am hoping that you will answer these questions. If they have been answered in previous literature, kindly direct me to it.

Sincerely

Steven M

Read the Society's response:
http://watchingthetower.blogspot.com/2009/09/response-from-society-ccjw.html

Read my response to the Society's:
http://watchingthetower.blogspot.com/2009/09/my-reply-to-ccjw-response.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers